Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Altec Design 20?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Balderdash1's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2008
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone ever heard of these? Were monitors in a radio station 70's/80's perhaps
    look's like a couple of 12" drivers per box and 2 midrangers or tweeters?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The few posts on Audiokarma that I find indicate that they were a low end late 70's model. They're supposed to include a passive radiator. I believe that it's safe to conclude that they don't use any of the same Altec components typically talked about here.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 03, 2008 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Audio_by_Goodwill ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen and heard them many times and walk away every time. Certainly not worthy of the items we discuss here and more in line with department store offerings from such companies as Panasonic, Fisher and Sound Design.

    It is best to understand that not all offerings from any of these companies made the grade and these fall far short.

    Gary

  4. #4
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Design 20 (home hi-fi from Altec)

    10" Bass Driver
    10" Passive Bass Energizer

    2 x 4" HF Drivers

    8 ohms

    1500Hz Crossover

    95dB Sensitivity

    8W - 120W

    25.5"H x 16"W x 11.5"D

    34lbs

    I have a spec sheet . . .

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    New to me. A search only found a claim of buying some new for $400 at a TEAM Electronics outlet in '79. Little help. Can you post some pictures? (requires external hosting)

  6. #6
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey GaryZ, "Experience is Knowledge" !

    Do you have a better experience with these?

    I never had much use for the "Specs" and relied more on these old ears.

    Did I miss something?

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Altec's "Challenger" series was, to my ears, the best sounding of their smaller home systems.

    Pity they weren't promoted more in their day...

  8. #8
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by gamalot:
    Hey GaryZ, "Experience is Knowledge" !

    Do you have a better experience with these?

    I never had much use for the "Specs" and relied more on these old ears.

    Did I miss something?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Design 20 was a typical home stereo speaker for the time and not high-end. I would not be interested in an old set . . . I hope this helps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.